Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Homemade Blackberry Jam






The other day I was at my mother's house when I noticed she had many delicious-looking, ripe blackberries in her yard. I had a fabulous idea to make jam out of them. I took it upon myself to call my dad and make sure that it was safe to pick them. I went into the house and found the largest bowl I could and proceeded to fill it entirely with the plump morsels of juicy goodness. I wrapped it in a plastic bag for the journey home.

I had never made jam before and had only just talked to a friend's parent about the process a few days earlier. I didn't have any of the materials so on my way home I stopped in at our local Safeway and picked up a flat of 12 8oz. kerr jam jars, as well as some pectin.

Upon returning home, I washed the jars and lids in warm soapy water and boiled the jars in a very large pot of water. I looked online for a good (easy to follow) recipe for blackberry jam and began the process. I found a good recipe at http://www.recipezaar.com/40235 The recipe was submitted by MizzNezz on September 15, 2002 and said:

Homemade Blackberry Jam

Ingredients


5 cups crushed blackberries (do not puree, crush with a potato masher) 7 cups sugar 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package fruit jell pectin (I use Ball but Sure Jell will work too)

Directions


1. Carefully measure out the berries, put them into a very large pot (8qt).
2. Carefully measure sugar in a lg bowl.
3. Add the pectin to the berries a little at a time, stirring constantly.
4. Heat on hi, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a FULL boil.
5. Add sugar ALL at once, stirring.
6. Bring mixture back to a full hard boil, stirring constantly.
7. Boil for 1 minute.
8. Remove from heat and ladle into clean, hot 8oz jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top.
9. Wipe the rim of the jar and put canning lids and rings on firmly tight.
10. Place in canner with very hot water, make sure water is 1 inch above jars.
11. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
12. Remove and set them upright on a towel to set for 12 hours.

To me, the jam turned out delicious and great! To a jam queen, it was probably a little runny...but it wasn't REALLY runny...just a bit. It is SO good and the seeds in it are yummy! It tastes so good over toast!! I am really happy with how it turned out...especially for my first batch!

1 comment:

backhomeagain said...

he-he, I wish you were my neighbor...that looks yummy. Do you make homemade bread too?