Sunday, August 10, 2008

My New Button Collection and the Farmgirl Sisterhood




As many of you may know, I am a fan of MaryJane Butters and her books and magazines (haven't tried her food yet but I have heard wonders). For those of you who don't know, she is a farmgirl living in Idaho on her organic farm. She basically coined the term "farmgirl" and I love to use it. You can read a more in-depth definition of "farmgirl" in my very first blog entry "Allow Me to Introduce Myself." A farmgirl not not necessarily live in the country on a farm...she can live anywhere as long as she enjoys creating things with her own two hands...whether it be cooking, baking, or sewing, knitting, crocheting or quilting, raising children, growing crops or gardening, or whatever.


On her website: maryjanesfarm.org you can learn more about her and her farm as well as her publications. I am in love with her magazines! They are a breath of fresh air that I eat up immediately upon purchase. On her website there is a forum for farmgirls across the globe to post topics and answers and have conversations with one another to share tips/swap goods/and everything in-between. I am a member on the forum with my username as lacisne88.


Through the website you can also sign up to be a part of the Farmgirl Sisterhood. This requires an annual membership fee to be a member but is well worth it. As a member of the sisterhood you receive the membership badge that you are allowed (and encouraged) to decorate and wear with pride on a jean jacket of choice! I am still learning to embroider for my badge decoration, but as soon as I finish, I will post a picture.


Anyways, as a member of the sisterhood, you are able to earn merit badges as well. I just applied for my first...the beginner level Buttoned up badge! For this badge I was required to begin a button collection of a variety of buttons. The minimum requirement was 50 buttons...I collected 270! I keep my buttons in a Kerr Mason jar so they look nice to display. I have many different varieties such as plastic, metal, leather, bone, shell, antique, vintage, and new! It was so much fun collecting the buttons and I plan to continue collecting! Buttons are so pretty and it is great that there is so much variety!!!


I will be earning my beginner knitting badge next as I have been knitting for a few years now and want to work on that.


If you are an aspiring farmgirl at heart or feel you might be, I reccomend taking a look at the MaryJanes Farm website and especially checking out her books and Magazines. They are wonderful and make me feel HAPPY!

No comments: