Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The First Harvest




Hello every one! I just wanted to share my first harvest from my garden with you. I actually harvested a few weeks ago but I just now uploaded the pictures onto my computer.


I planted a very large garden in the spring. It was beautiful and I spent many hours working alone planting types of squash and pumpkin, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, corn, lettuce, even sunflowers. I had to take a long trip to Mexico to study abroad for 6 weeks and my dad said he would tend to the garden in my absense.


I guess his version of "tend to the garden" just meant watering. I came home a few weeks ago to a thriving garden...a garden thriving with weeds. There were weeds everywhere!! I could not tell most of the good plants from the bad plants because they were hidden amongst the horrible knee-high weeds and grasses!


I harvested right then and there what I could. The broccoli was left a bit too long and a few of them had already started blooming the yellow flowers. I took what I could from these. A few of the broccoli plants don't quite look normal because of this but they tasted good. I also was able to harvest some nice lettuce.


We made salads for a week afterwards and they were all very delicious and fresh tasting! The corn plants have a few ears growing and I look forward to harvesting those!

No comments: